Europe has an excellent tradition in AI research, and many of today’s most successful AI methods originate in European universities and research institutes. Current AI tools, however, often lack features that are crucial to the need of having AI systems that are truly human-centred. Such systems would need to be:
- Explainable, i.e., they allow humans to understand the reasons behind their recommendations or decisions;
- Verifiable, i.e., they guarantee fundamental properties like safety, privacy and security;
- Physical, i.e., they can interact with the physical world of humans;
- Collaborative, i.e., they can share knowledge with humans and take decisions jointly with them;
- Integrative, i.e., they can combine different requirements and methods into one AI system.
Ensuring that future AI-based systems have these five properties is paramount to our ability to use AI to produce benefits for the European society, industry and economy, while being compliant to the ethical values that are at the centre of European culture.
The scientific vision of AI4EU is to facilitate European AI research in these five priority areas, and make research results available to all through the AI on-demand platform.
We want to reinforce European excellence and leading position worldwide in major AI research and application domains, by fostering research and innovation efforts in human-centered AI.
To do so, we maintain and coordinate information about European research on human-centered AI, with a focus on the above five key areas. We contribute to this research by developing new solutions that address selected technology gaps. We lay new foundations that allow us to study and develop human-centred AI systems. We organize community events and discussions on these topics.
Visit the following pages to know more about the five key areas above. You will also find pointers to people, knowledge, tools and discussions on the AI4EU platform that relate to those areas.
- A simple guide on Explainable AI
- A simple guide on Verifiable AI
- A simple guide on Physical AI
- A simple guide on Collaborative AI
- A simple guide on Integrative AI
You may also want to join our group about Foundations of Human-Centred AI
For further information on our research activities, please contact the AI4EU Scientific Manager